[gmx-users] rigid tetrahedral molecule

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Apr 30 12:14:08 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-30 00.38, Mark Abraham wrote:
> On 4/30/2011 5:05 AM, Sanku M wrote:
>> Hi David,
>> Actually, I had tried to use vsites to make this molecule rigid. I
>> read the manual section 4.7 as well. But, unfortunately, for a 5-site
>> tetrahedral geometry I was not able to figure out the right vsite type
>> I should use. So, I was wondering whether you can provide some input
>> on the details of how to use virtual sites for a tetrahedral molecule.
>> It would have been helpful.
>
> David suggested using vsites "as well" as the multiple-constraints
> approach, because the molecule needs to have its degrees of freedom
> artificially increased to compensate for the artificial decrease.
>
> A vsite could only work if there was some way to take four atoms for the
> force calculation, project them into one (say COM), do the MD update
> step on the COM, and project the update back out. I've no idea whether
> that's sound or can be implemented, however.
It is quite involved. You need to keep the total mass constant and the
moments of inertia.

For instance for methane one could construct 4 mass-particles M on the
C-H bonds which are connected by 6 constraints. Then you can construct
the virtual positions of C and H based on those four masses. A "real"
methane has 5x3 degrees of freedom. The above construction has 4 masses
* 3 dof - 6 constraints = 6 degrees of freedom left. This would
therefore yield a correct rigid model.