[gmx-users] density map in 3 Dimension

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 1 20:37:05 CET 2011

jagannath mondal wrote:
> Dear gromacs-users,
>  I thought of sending this query again as I did not get any response in
> my last email.
>   I was wondering whether there is any way to calculate the 3D density
> map of a particular selection of protein-water system ( say the water
> near the protein backbone) in gromacs.
> I guess g_densmap provides a 2D map of the density. But I was looking
> for 3D map of density. I presume it might have to do with calculating
> volume of a space. But, I am not sure how to do it in gromacs.
> Any help will be appreciated.

Two approaches come to mind:

1. Run g_densmap in all directions (invoking the -aver flag to change the
dimension over which averaging is done), then somehow post-processing the output
from the .xpm files into something meaningful.  That will involve a lot of
scripting to parse out values from the .xpm files (which are translated from the
various letters of the color scheme) and then assembling some sort of meaningful
format for the output.  Doesn't sound to me like a trivial task, but perhaps it
could be done.

2. Use g_select to define dynamic indices for water molecules that fit some
geometric criterion, then feed these index groups into the individual frames of
your trajectory (analyzed separately, since the index groups need not be of the
same size), and again assemble some type of meaningful output from the
probabilities or densities in (x,y,z) space.

I've never tried either of these nor do I have anything more specific to
recommend, just the general workflow of thinking out loud ;)

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee