[gmx-users] can not restart a simulation from the checkpoint file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 2 19:30:28 CET 2011

Chen, Zhihong (chenz2) wrote:
> Hi, I runed 2 ns membrane simulations. But I cann't restart these simulations
> using the checkpoint file, The error message is   Warning: task died with
> signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Since the trr file include the force,

What was your exact command?

> velocity information of atoms, so I restarted the simulations from trr file
> and it works. But when I tried to visionize the trr file in VMD, I saw weird
> long lines between atoms across the cell box. I think that is because  atoms
> are swithing from one periodic box to another. So the bond information are
> messed up when shown in VMD.  What I am concerned is , is there a problem to
> restart simulations from trrr file? And how to restart from cpt file, solving
> that Segmentation Fault? Could someone give me help on this? Thanks chen

Without seeing the command you provided, there's no way to tell.  There is a
how-to for doing restarts on the Gromacs website.  The weird bonds you're seeing
are a normal consequence of PBC, nothing to worry about (again, see the website
for more details).

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar