[gmx-users] Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Dec 3 06:49:57 CET 2011

On 3/12/2011 4:42 PM, pragna lakshmi wrote:
> Thank u for reply. I did energy minimization and equilibration step.
> It converged in 696 steps which is shown below.
>
> Step=  692, Dmax= 9.2e-03 nm, Epot= -7.12587e+05 Fmax= 7.62150e+03,
> atom= 2099
> Step=  693, Dmax= 1.1e-02 nm, Epot= -7.12588e+05 Fmax= 9.72038e+03,
> atom= 2099
> Step=  695, Dmax= 6.6e-03 nm, Epot= -7.12670e+05 Fmax= 9.39830e+02,
> atom= 2099
>
> writing lowest energy coordinates.
>
> Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 1000 in 696 steps
> Potential Energy  = -7.1266969e+05
> Maximum force     =  9.3982965e+02 on atom 2099
> Norm of force     =  2.1967674e+01

The atom that has the greatest force after EM is the same one for which
LINCS warnings arise later. That's worth paying attention to. Read the
advice about diagnosing unstable systems on the link Justin gave you
last time.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Thermostats

> ; Pressure coupling is on
> Pcoupl = berendsen
> pcoupltype = isotropic
> tau_p = 0.5
> compressibility = 4.5e-5
> ref_p = 1.0
> ; Generate velocites is on at 300 K.
> gen_vel = yes
> gen_temp = 300.0
> gen_seed = 173529

It's probably not useful to re-generate velocities after the
position-restrained step.

Mark