[gmx-users] Pme on gpu performance

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Wed Dec 14 01:10:40 CET 2011

Dear Rafael,

It really depends on the processors, GPUs, as well as whether you are
interested in performance or performance/buck. Also note, that with
GPUs you'll need considerably more atoms/core.

First of all, the E7-s are 8-core processors, so four of them is only
32 (and from what I can see it doesn't have HT). Moreover, they cost a
whopping ~2500 USD each. In contrast a pair of Westmares go for the
about price of one E7 (some less) and then you can get Teslas
(although these cost quite a lot) or even GF GTX580-s -- which by the
way are ~30-40% faster and 4-5x cheaper. With two GPUs you will
probably not match the 4xE7 performance -- maybe with GTX580s --, but
with 3-4 you probably will.

However, you might want to look at AMD-based servers as well, they
have *really* good performance/price ratio, so when it comes to
ns/day/$ dual-/quad-socket AMD machines can get close to Westmere+GPU
combination, but not quad-socket Intels can't.

One last tip: unless you really need so compute power in one single
machine, you can also consider the budget option of getting desktop
Sandy bridge with say two budget-ish GF cards (e.g. 570/560 Ti) and
you'll have an entire box with everything below 1000 USD.

Regards,
--
Szilárd

PS: I hope you don't mind the USD prices, it was easier to google
those than EUR ones.