[gmx-users] XYZ-Direction of eigenvector

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 14 13:27:34 CET 2011

On 14/12/2011 11:20 PM, Linder Tobias wrote:
> Dear gromacs users,
>
> I used g_covar in order to get the eigenvectors of a MD simulation. Analysis of the eigenvalue plot showed the high eigenvalue of the first eigenvector. I also used gmxdump in order to analyse eigenvec.trr. Frame 1 of the eigenvec.trr shows the eigenvector direction of each atom of eigenvector 1.
> I was wondering if there is a single XYZ-Direction (only one general direction, not for each atom) of this first eigenvector because to my (basic) knowledge, there should be an eigenvector direction corresponding to the eigenvalue in the eigenvalue plot.

You removed the global motion when you fitted to a reference structure,
so all the remaining motion is internal. So you need to expect that the
set of orthonormal vectors, in whose directions the mean-squared
fluctuations are independent of each other (i.e. the eigenvectors of the
eigenvalues you found), will generally have contributions from every
remaining degree of freedom.