[gmx-users] Coulomb Energy

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 18 11:56:10 CET 2011

On 18/12/2011 7:41 PM, Saba Ferdous wrote:

> Dear Gromacs experts,
>
> I want to ask about coulomb energies. Like if coulomb-SR and coulomb-14
> show high RMSD then what should we interpret from such results??

Nothing. The fact that it is convenient to compute and report those
terms separately doesn't mean there's any connection with a useful
observable. Force fields are parametrized to reproduce some experimental
and/or computational data. There's no a priori reason to suppose that
bits and pieces of the force field in isolation have any particular
connection to any such observable.

Mark