[gmx-users] Metal Ion Position

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 19 16:09:51 CET 2011

simon sham wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question on how to calculate the metal ion position in a
> protein in a simulation.
> To be more more specific, I would like to make sure the metal ion stay
> in the binding site throughout the simulation, and not sure which
> analysis function to use.
>
> I have tried g_rms, and did not work.  I'd appreciate your help.

g_traj can print coordinates, and g_dist can give distances relative to amino
acids in the protein (with custom index groups).  Otherwise, g_rms can be
useful, if used properly (i.e. fit to the protein and measure the ion's RMSD).

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee