[gmx-users] regarding rtp file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 19 18:52:56 CET 2011

priya thiyagarajan wrote:
> hello sir,
>  Thanks for your reply..
> i like to know is it better to do x2top for my whole protein instead of
> seperating fattyacid from aminoacid to generate rtp file and top file
> since  mine is a cyclicheptapeptide..
> so that i can use that top file for doing my energy minimization
> ,position restr ad dynamics..

The best tool for this job is pdb2gmx; g_x2top only works well for single small
molecules, not the complex multi-residue species you're dealing with.  Not only
will pdb2gmx write the appropriate topology for the peptide, but it will allow
you to deal with special bonds and termini that may be required for building the
cyclic peptide.  See also:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate