[gmx-users] LINCS error

aiswarya pawar aiswarya.pawar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 06:39:37 CET 2011

I get an error like this=
Step 43230, time 86.46 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
rms 0.033583, max 1.621884 (between atoms 2032 and 2030)
bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
 atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
   2032   2030   90.0    0.4449   0.2622      0.1000
   2031   2030   90.0    0.1949   0.1264      0.1000
Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates

Step 43231, time 86.462 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
rms 0.066301, max 3.173023 (between atoms 2032 and 2030)
bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
 atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length
   2032   2030   90.0    0.2622   0.4173      0.1000
   2031   2030   89.9    0.1264   0.1675      0.1000

Program mdrun, VERSION 4.5.3
Source code file: constr.c, line: 176

Fatal error:
Too many LINCS warnings (1001)
If you know what you are doing you can adjust the lincs warning threshold
in your mdp file
or set the environment variable GMX_MAXCONSTRWARN to -1,
but normally it is better to fix the problem

and my md.mdp file i altered goes like this=
; VARIOUS PREPROCESSING OPTIONS
title                    = Production Simulation
cpp                      = /lib/cpp

; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
integrator               = md
tinit                    = 0       ; Starting time
dt                       = 0.002   ; 2 femtosecond time step for integration
nsteps                   = 2500000        ; Make it 10 ns

; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
nstxout                  = 500 ; Writing full precision coordinates every
nanosecond
nstvout                  = 500 ; Writing velocities every nanosecond
nstfout                  = 0     ; Not writing forces
nstlog                   = 2500  ; Writing to the log file every step
nstenergy                = 2500  ; Writing out energy information every step
nstxtcout                = 500  ; Writing coordinates every 5 ps
energygrps               = Protein Non-Protein

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
nstlist                  = 5
ns-type                  = Grid
pbc                      = xyz
rlist                    = 0.9

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
coulombtype              = Reaction-Field
rcoulomb                 = 1.4
epsilon_rf               = 78
epsilon_r                = 1
vdw-type                 = Cut-off
rvdw                     = 1.4

; Temperature coupling
Tcoupl                   = Berendsen
tc-grps                  = Protein  Non-Protein
tau_t                    = 0.1      0.1
ref_t                    = 300      300
; Pressure coupling
Pcoupl                   = Berendsen