[gmx-users] how to obtain error bar for plotting?

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 11:58:54 CET 2011

Hey :)

Just some side notes. Make sure to distinguish between 'statistical
error' or 'standard error of the mean', which is a measure of how
'correct' your estimate of the average is, and the standard deviation
or the variance, which is a measure of the natural spread. The latter
is not an error! In addition, there are correlations that make it
difficult to assess the standard error of the mean. These correlations
can be time correlations, which cause a false decrease of the standard
error. But simulations that start from similar starting points are
also correlated. If the simulations are too short, and 1 ns seems
quite short, then the observations will not be statistically
independent, and the standard error will again turn out smaller than
it should.

Cheers,

Tsjerk