[gmx-users] After installation help

Willian Pereira Felix willianpfelix at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 13:58:29 CET 2011

Hello buddies,

I'm a very beginner in gromacs and I just got a trick but simple situation
(for you :D). After the installation of my gromacs on ubuntu 11.10 I opened
the .bashrc file and put the following code in the following place as
instructed by installation session on the webpage:

.BASHRC file
# Add an "alert" alias for long running commands.  Use like so:
#   sleep 10; alert
alias alert='notify-send --urgency=low -i "$([ $? = 0 ] && echo terminal ||
echo error)" "$(history|tail -n1|sed -e
'\''s/^\s*[0-9]\+\s*//;s/[;&|]\s*alert$//'\'')"'

# Alias definitions.
# You may want to put all your additions into a separate file like
# ~/.bash_aliases, instead of adding them here directly.
# See /usr/share/doc/bash-doc/examples in the bash-doc package.

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
    . ~/.bash_aliases
fi

#this should be an access to gromacs
source . /usr/local/gromacs/bin/GMXRC

# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ] && ! shopt -oq posix; then
    . /etc/bash_completion
fi

I already tried using . /usr/local/gromacs/GMXRC in the begin and also
just  /usr/local/gromacs/GMXRC (without the point) and even thereafter I
couldn't run the program. Unfortunately I really don't know what to do I've
already read the final installation instructions many times and tried to
google something related but I had no luck.

Please someone can provide me some light on this issue??

Thanks all of you.

Willian Felix