[gmx-users] Re: change in secondary structure

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 2 14:54:07 CET 2011

bharat gupta wrote:
> Sorry to make this point here but running a 50ns simulation will take
> roughly 1 month on my system but a 10ns simulation will take 5 days on

A month is a reasonable time investment for quality MD simulations.

> my system .. so would a 10ns be enough to monitor such motions .. also i

Very doubtful, but I'm not going to speculate further.  You have to be willing
to put in significant effort to answer complex questions, unless you're happy to
settle for potentially unreliable data.

> request to u guide me to a link where I can find more about this
> independent simulation and how to run many replicates & analyze them ??

There's nothing left to say.  I've told you how to initiate independent
simulations.  Analyzing them is up to you based on your plans for this project.
  No one on this list is going to provide you broad-reaching how-to's for doing
anything you might come up with.  The manual is extensive, and the website/wiki
has lots of tips and information.

> [...]
>         <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>>> wrote:
>

>            bharat gupta wrote:
>
>                Thanks for such a detailed reply to my queries .. But
>         conducting
>                a 50ns simulation will take time ... so i want to conduct
>                independent simulation and for that I searched some
>         threads but
>                was not able to get the proper description and method... if u
>                can guide me through an appropriate link .. it would be much
>                more helpful ..
>

>            Each simulation begins with the assignment of random velocities
>            (gen_vel = yes).  Specify different values of gen_seed (or
>         leave it
>            set to -1) to get different velocities each time.
>
>            -Justin
>

>            --     ========================================
>
>            Justin A. Lemkul
>            Ph.D. Candidate
>            ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>            MILES-IGERT Trainee
>            Department of Biochemistry
>            Virginia Tech
>            Blacksburg, VA
>            jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu> <http://vt.edu> | (540)
>         231-9080
>
>            http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>            Please search the archive at
>            http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before
>         posting!
>            Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>            interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>            <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>.
>
>            Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists
>

>         --
>         Bharat
>         Ph.D. Candidate
>         Room No. : 7202A, 2nd Floor
>         Biomolecular Engineering Laboratory
>         Division of Chemical Engineering and Polymer Science
>         Pusan National University
>         Busan -609735
>         South Korea
>         Lab phone no. - +82-51-510-3680, +82-51-583-8343
>         Mobile no. - 010-5818-3680
>         E-mail : monu46010 at yahoo.com <mailto:monu46010 at yahoo.com>
>         <mailto:monu46010 at yahoo.com <mailto:monu46010 at yahoo.com>>
>

>     --
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul
>     Ph.D. Candidate
>     ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>     MILES-IGERT Trainee
>     Department of Biochemistry
>     Virginia Tech
>     Blacksburg, VA

>     Please search the archive at

> Bharat
> Ph.D. Candidate
> Room No. : 7202A, 2nd Floor
> Biomolecular Engineering Laboratory
> Division of Chemical Engineering and Polymer Science
> Pusan National University
> Busan -609735
> South Korea
> Lab phone no. - +82-51-510-3680, +82-51-583-8343

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080