[gmx-users] Normal modes are not orthogonal???

Kumaran Baskaran k.baskaran at fz-juelich.de
Fri Feb 4 07:53:34 CET 2011

These are the actual values extracted from xpm image
Diagonal element 0.34,0.6,0.8..(which is supposed to be 1.0)
Off-diagonal elements 0.3,0.21,0.01,...(which is supposed to be zero)

Additional information.
1. Maximum force at the end of energy minimization is of the order of
2.1x10^-10 (Is it sufficient? I can't go below that it says "reached
machine precision")

2. Energy minimization is done using l-bfgs (cg didn't give the lowest
energy I tried all three)

3. I used the .trr file from energy minimization to calculate normal
modes(for double precision)

4. Just a cross check: I ran normal md in glycine, then calculated
eigenvectors using covariance matrix(mdrun,g_covar then g_anaeig) and
then inner product between them. This was perfect. I get a neat diagonal
and all off diagonals are zero.