[gmx-users] Re: free energy calculation , grompp crash

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 8 01:42:19 CET 2011

Da-Wei Li wrote:
> hello
>
> 1.  I used almost identical comands with you.
> 2.  If I set "couple-intramol          = yes". My grompp will run very fast.
>
>  From the manu, "couple-intramol = no means " all intramol
> (protein-protein interaction in my case) interaction are turned to
> predefind list while "couple-intramol          = yes" means
> intra-protein interactions are scaled the same with protein-water
> interaction. Maybe this is the reason my grompp becomes very slow??

That seems likely.  As I suggested before, grompp is chewing up a lot of memory
converting all intramolecular nonbonded interactions into pairs and exclusions.
   This is a very intensive process, and scales with system size.

> 3. If I set "couple-intramol          = yes", my mdrun will go very
> smooth. It is also fine if I turn off free energy calculation. If I set
> "couple-intramol=no", it will complain "two-body bonded interactions:
> 4.509 nm, LJC Pairs NB, atoms 1013 1231". This is very strange. Atom
> 1013 and 1231 are not bonded at all, they are actually the most *far
> away* pair in my system. I can't understand why free energy calculation
> will cause this message.

This is a consequence of the description above.  Check the output of grompp -pp
or the .tpr file and you will likely see that interactions within your protein
are now being assigned to the [pairs] and [exclusions] directives.  As a result,
you have "bonded" interactions that are very far apart.  You might be able to
use mdrun -pd to circumvent this performance issue (although it will be slower
than DD in most cases, here it will likely be faster than any construct DD might
come up with, if it runs at all).

-Justin

> [...]
>>             <mailto:mustardt at onid.orst.edu
>>             <mailto:mustardt at onid.orst.edu>>
>>             > >
>>             > >
>>             > >     --
>>             > >     gmx-users mailing list    gmx-users at gromacs.org
>>             <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>>             > >     <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org
>>             <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>>
>>             > >     Please search the archive at
>>             > >
>>              http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>>             before posting!
>>             > >     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the
>>             list. Use the
>>             > >     www interface or send it to
>>             gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>>             <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>>             > >     <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>>             <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>.
>>             > >     Can't post? Read
>>             http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists
>>             > >
>>             > >
>>             >
>>             > --
>>             > ========================================
>>             >
>>             > Justin A. Lemkul
>>             > Ph.D. Candidate
>>             > ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>>             > MILES-IGERT Trainee
>>             > Department of Biochemistry
>>             > Virginia Tech
>>             > Blacksburg, VA
>>             > jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu/> | (540) 231-9080
>>             > http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin
>>             >
>>             > ========================================
>>             > --
>>             > gmx-users mailing list    gmx-users at gromacs.org
>>             <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>>             > Please search the archive at
>>             http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before
>>             posting!
>>             > Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list.
>>             Use the
>>             > www interface or send it to
>>             gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>>             <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>.
>>             > Can't post? Read
>>             http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists
>>             >

>>             TJ Mustard
>>             Email: mustardt at onid.orst.edu <mailto:mustardt at onid.orst.edu>
>>

>>             --
>>             Please search the archive at
>>             http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before
>>             posting!
>>             Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>>             www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>>             <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>.
>>             Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists
>

>     TJ Mustard
>     Email: mustardt at onid.orst.edu <mailto:mustardt at onid.orst.edu>
>

>     --
>     Please search the archive at
>     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee