[gmx-users] Re: g_rmsf

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 9 07:08:05 CET 2011

On 9/02/2011 4:52 PM, bharat gupta wrote:
> Tsjerk,
>
> Sorry for asking that .. actually I made a silly mistake while
> selecting residues.. After plotting the graphs for common regions I
> found that first 100 amino acids shows a lot of fluctuations (compared
> to the one without any loop insertion) ... Does the insertion caused a
> great change in the over topology ... what could be the answer for
> this ?? ...

Maybe the insertion does cause a change. Isn't that one of the things
you're trying to see? Maybe you've not got enough data. Maybe you've not
made a single-variable change. You have to have done a pair of
simulations (whose difference is known, well-defined and relevant) for
long enough time for the observables to converge within a simulation in
order to do a meaningful comparison of those observables across those
simulations.

> Is there any other way to check the effect loop insertion on the
> topology of protein ... I heard of essential dynamics method and I
> asked u earlier about the same .. u told me that 3ns time is small for
> such analysis but I have found a paper (published in 1999) that has
> done ED analysis on a 1ns simulated trajectory .. Whether doing such
> analysis for my data will be acceptable ??

Computer power doubles about every 18 months. Things that were
too-short-but-acceptable a decade ago often will no longer be
acceptable. In the 80s people did vacuum MD with 0.7nm cutoffs, which
would be laughed at now.

> I also want to know how can I calculate the distance between two beta
> strands (which are connected by a loop)

Have a look at the short descriptions of the the tools in manual section
7.4 or 8, and then look up the detailed descriptions of useful-sounding
tools in the appendix.