[gmx-users] solvation_box_preparation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 9 12:56:34 CET 2011

shahid nayeem wrote:
> Hi Justin
> Thanks a lot.
> I tried doing energy minimization and th lowering emtotal to 200 and
> the system converged to
> Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 200 in 1411 steps
> Potential Energy  = -3.9063050e+05
> Maximum force     =  1.3442458e+02 on atom 927
> Norm of force     =  1.4758101e+01

OK, so energy minimization was fine.

>  For equilibration of solvation box I am following a biophys j paper
> in which protocol for urea box preparation is given. A simulated
> annealing under high pressure (ref_p=100) to cool system from 300 to
> 0K thereafter heating back to 300K at ref_p=1. Again 1ns MD at same
> condition. If this way is harsh treatment of system then suggest me
> the way out.
> My sa.mdp sa_hot.mdp and sa_equilibriation.mdp as well as chaps.itp
> are attached with this mail

There's nothing obviously wrong with the .mdp file.  Have you tried running
"normal" MD to check for stability?  I suggested that before, and I'm still curious.

Also, your CHAPS topology makes no sense.  The haphazard charge assignment and
nonsensical charge groups indicate to me that PRODRG has done its usual job of
assigning funny parameters.  Even if you could get the simulations to run, they
shouldn't be trusted, and bad parameters could well be the source of your
problem.  Parameterization is time-consuming and difficult, but so is generated
quality, usable data :)

-Justin