[gmx-users] Domain decomposition configuration

Denny Frost dsfrost at cableone.net
Wed Feb 9 21:43:50 CET 2011

I'm using version 4.5.3

Here's the output from the log file from DD initiation to the error:

Initializing Domain Decomposition on 8 nodes
Dynamic load balancing: auto
Will sort the charge groups at every domain (re)decomposition
Initial maximum inter charge-group distances:
    two-body bonded interactions: 4.893 nm, Bond, atoms 8994 8996
  multi-body bonded interactions: 4.893 nm, Angle, atoms 8994 8997
Minimum cell size due to bonded interactions: 5.382 nm
Using 0 separate PME nodes
Scaling the initial minimum size with 1/0.8 (option -dds) = 1.25
Optimizing the DD grid for 8 cells with a minimum initial size of 6.728 nm
The maximum allowed number of cells is: X 0 Y 0 Z 1

Program mdrun_mpi, VERSION 4.5.3
Source code file: domdec.c, line: 6428

Fatal error:
There is no domain decomposition for 8 nodes that is compatible with the
given box and a minimum cell size of 6.72787 nm
Change the number of nodes or mdrun option -rdd or -dds
Look in the log file for details on the domain decomposition

And here is my mdp file

title               =  BMIM+PF6
cpp                 =  /lib/cpp
constraints         =  hbonds
integrator          =  md
dt                  =  0.002   ; ps !
nsteps              =  75000   ; total 150 ps
nstcomm             =  10
nstxout             =  50000
nstvout             =  50000
nstfout             =  0
nstlog              =  5000
nstenergy           =  5000
nstxtcout           =  25000
nstlist             =  10
ns_type             =  grid
pbc                 =  xyz
coulombtype         =  PME
vdwtype             =  Cut-off
rlist               =  1.2
rcoulomb            =  1.2
rvdw                =  1.2
fourierspacing      =  0.12
pme_order           =  4
ewald_rtol          =  1e-5
; Berendsen temperature coupling is on in two groups
Tcoupl              =  berendsen
tc_grps             =  BMI      PF6     SOL
tau_t               =  0.2  0.2  0.2
ref_t               =  300  300  300
nsttcouple          =  1
; Energy monitoring
energygrps          =  BMI      PF6     SOL
; Isotropic pressure coupling is now on
Pcoupl              =  berendsen
pcoupltype          =  isotropic
;pc-grps             =  BMI      PFF