[gmx-users] Performance in ia64 and x86_64

Ignacio Fernández Galván jellby at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 14:44:09 CET 2011

---- Original Message ----
From: Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>

> We can't say with the information given. For best performance, the number of
> threads cannot exceed the number of physical cores available to one processor.
> To go higher, you need to compile and use GROMACS with MPI, not threading. If
> the IA64 is "dual core" then you are not measuring anything useful. You also
>need
> to be sure you're measuring for a decent length of time - a few minutes at
>least.

It seems the x86_64 processor has 4 cores and 8 threads support
(<http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37104>), so the machine has probably two
physical processors. I thought MPI was only needed if there was network
communication involved, as in a cluster, but not in SMP, which is what both
machines are (single memory, single OS), I guess I was wrong. I'll try compiling
with MPI.

Thanks,
Ignacio