[gmx-users] extracting a structure from confout.gro file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Feb 11 15:51:33 CET 2011

najwa drici wrote:
> hi all
>
> I would like to extract my protein structure with the first hydration
> shell around the active site which contains an ion from counfout.gro.
>
> Is there any program script able to do this?

Not in one step, no.  You could:

1. Use make_ndx to create an index group that defines your active site.

2. Use g_dist -dist to determine which water molecules (based on the atoms
listed) are within a defined distance from the active site residues.

3. Make another index group that contains protein + the waters identified in step 2.

4. Extract those coordinates using trjconv and the index group created in step 3.

-Justin

> Cordially DRICI nedjoua

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate