[gmx-users] FEP energy errors with positional restraints?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Feb 13 02:35:57 CET 2011

On 13/02/2011 11:49 AM, TJ Mustard wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been testing the ability of taking a sphere of a protein around
> a ligand, and positionally restrain the specified alpha carbons. I was
> hoping to keep non connected protein chains from drifting apart. I
> have been able to run these md/fep jobs, but I get huge interaction
> energies for the ligand, which has no positional restraints on it. I
> also don't restrain any atoms within the rvdw, rcoulomb and rlist
> radii. Am I thinking this is a possibility when it is physically
> impossible to simulate?

I doubt it.

> Currently I am selecting all residues around the ligand that have an
> atom within 20 Angstroms. I then save this as a pdb file and then run
> it through pdb2gmx, manually create a posres.itp file for each "chain"
> with their first and last residue's alpha carbon. Once I turn off
> these positional restraints the FEP energies drop down to "normal" levels.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what is happening?
>

> And if you do, can you please give a recommendation?

I'd guess you're not restraining how you think you are :-) Bear in mind
that position restraints are indexed relative to a [moleculetype] (and
must be #included there), and not the whole system.

The combination of g_select and genrestr is probably a more reliable and
documentable way to generate your position restraints.