[gmx-users] RE: simulation of a metal binding sites

Marc Baaden baaden at smplinux.de
Fri Feb 18 08:15:29 CET 2011

Hi,

As mentioned by others, there's really lots of literature out there. I
thought I mention a recent study we carried out, because it actually
helped discover some new ion binding sites based on MD. By re-examining
crystal structures based on these results, we could even find
experimental evidence for those ions being there. [1]

But actually you didn't tell us which ions you want to simulate?
Monovalent ions should be sort of ok, although there are differences
among the forcefields (some original KCl used to crystallize).
Di-valent ions, in particular Ca2+, are much more tricky. Higher
charged ones are a nightmare. The higher the charge, the more likely
you might want things like polarization in your simulation.

There are also some specific forcefields finely parameterized for ions
based on quantum mechanics. I suggest you check out SIBFA [2] by Gresh
and Piquemal.

Good luck,
  Marc

[1] How Cations Can Assist DNase I in DNA Binding and Hydrolysis
http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1001000

[2] SIBFA (Sum of Interactions Between Fragments Ab initio computed)
http://www.lct.jussieu.fr/pagesperso/jpp/SIBFA.html

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden at smplinux.de      -      http://www.baaden.ibpc.fr