[gmx-users] configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (off_t)

Justin Kat justin.kat at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Feb 19 04:32:20 CET 2011

Dear experts,

I have installed Gromacs under the normal configuration and am now
attempting to install the mpi version of mdrun on a machine, however I am
getting this error during the configuration:

configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (off_t)
See `config.log' for more details.

I cant seem to find anything in the config.log file that might point me in
the right direction.

The command that I used to attempt to configure the mpi version is:

./configure --enable-mpi --program-suffix=_mpi
MPICC=/usr/lib64/openmpi/1.4-gcc/bin/mpicc

I have also tried to append my path so that it includes these paths:

/usr/lib64/openmpi/1.4-gcc/include
/usr/lib64/openmpi/1.4-gcc/

But it seems to have no effect so Im guessing there is somewhere else I must
look into.

Appreciate any help!

Thank you!