[gmx-users] on force fields

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 21 03:41:26 CET 2011

Mr Bernard Ramos wrote:
> Thanks for the reply on my first querry. I have another one. If I add
> a NEW atom type in *.atp file, will Gromacs automatically recognize this
> atom type?

Theoretically, yes, provided that you supply any corresponding parameters in,
e.g., ffnonbonded.itp and ffbonded.itp.  However, there is an unresolved bug
related to atomtype assignment that may be relevant:

http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/618

It seems to me that any alterations to the .atp file cause things to break down,
so do not be surprised if there are problems.

-Justin

> Thanks.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate