[gmx-users] Can g_wham support using different temperature for different windows?

Jianguo Li ljggmx at yahoo.com.sg
Wed Feb 23 03:21:05 CET 2011

Thank you  for the the useful information, XAvier.
My peptide is highly positively charged, 18 AA with +12 charges. Other of my
group members told me their NMR experiment in water indicates the peptide
conformation is very dynamics. Actually I also did peptide refolding using REMD
in water, and I found it is flexible and has no stable structure in water,
except some instantaneously helical structures. In addition, my peptide consists
of two branches connected by unnatural peptide bond, so the backbone is
discontinuous, and also because of the high charges, I assume the peptide
doesn't form helcial structure in the negatively charged membrane. Therefore I
didn't put any constraints in the peptide to keep the secondary structure of the
peptide. I know there are assumptions in my model, but I have no other
information to increase the accuracy of the model.  In fact, when I am doing
REMD folding simulations using Gromos53a6 and CHARMM27 with cMap, I got
different results. But the common thing is that both results seems to indicate
the peptide is filexbile in water without stable secondary structure. Then I
used MARTINI FF with flexible structure, just to find some general features.

I will try your suggestion, doing REMD in those bad windows.

And the reference you mentioned is very useful, I will take a look at them :-)

Another question: Suppose some other tools support using different temperatures
in different windows, as you mentioned, if 500K is too high to have a
significant contribution to the probability of 300K,  can I do a series of
simulation in a certain window with different temparatures (e.g. 300K, 350K,
400K,450K, 500K). In such cases, in each window, I need to do 5 simulations,
which will be much cheaper than doing REMD in that window.

Cheers
Jianguo