[gmx-users] Re: Differences in rmsd with different force field

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 23 03:45:58 CET 2011

bharat gupta wrote:
> Since the paper that I am following says that for that protein (GFP) 1ns
> simulation is enough as other people carried out 10ns for the same
> protein and rmsd follows the same pattern which is being shown by that
> 1ns simulation ..

When were those studies published?  With modern hardware and a recent Gromacs
version, you can get 10 ns is two days' time, and the data you collect
represents a time scale well below most biologically-relevant events except the
smallest of motions.  A paper that did only 1 ns should be fairly old, I imagine.

> So I decided to do a 3ns simulation .... the RMSD that I got was same as
> that mentioned in the paper ... showing that the barrel doesnot show
> much fluctuation and remains stable for a 3ns simulation (similar to
> that 1ns one).
>
> Again I decided to go for 10 ns simulation this time but I changed the
> force field this time ... I got a different trajectory ...

All trajectories (theoretically, if starting from independent velocities) are
"different."  You can't expect everything to be identical, especially over short
time periods.  Multiple replicates over long time frames should converge to some
meaningful averages of the observables of interest.  Time averages would equal
ensemble averages once the initial "memory" of the system is lost.  This is
ergodicity.

> What shall I do now ?? .. shall I repeat that 10ns simulation with the
> same FF that I was using for 3ns simulation ??

You should do your homework about which force field model you believe should be
most accurate, basing your choice on (1) papers that have studied the same or
similar systems and (2) systematic comparisons of force fields to understand
their inherent limitations and benefits.  There are several such papers that
have come out in recent years, some more complete than others.  The results of
(2) should supersede the results of (1): if a group used force field X on system
Y, but then force field X was later shown to incorrectly reproduce some
important aspect of system Y, then force field X is probably a bad choice, even
if there is some element of precedent.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080