[gmx-users] g_rms and g_cluster

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 24 14:44:04 CET 2011

shahid nayeem wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I want to calculate RMSD of one side chain residue from simulation
> trajectory after full backbone alignment as well as translating to
> coincide CA of the residue of interest. Is it possible to do with
> g_rms both backbone alignment as well as translating to coincide CA.

Least-squares fitting is performed on whatever group you choose (i.e. backbone),
and the calculation group can then be whatever you want.  You can use trjconv to
do translational fitting, but I don't know that you can force g_rms to always
align this certain atom and still perform a backbone fit; these two may work
against one another, even if the difference is small.

> Another clarification is that in gromacs g_cluster how can I use
> greedy algorithm for clustering.

What is a "greedy" algorithm?  The available methods are described in the manual
and/or g_cluster -h.

-Justin

> Shahid Nayeem

Justin A. Lemkul