[gmx-users] question about trajcat command: Merge files

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 1 21:40:45 CEST 2011

Miguel Quiliano Meza wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I have a couple of doubts, please help me to clarify.
>
> I performed 4 MD simulations using Gromacs (each one of 1ns, 2ns, 3ns
> ,4ns) , they are only a continuation of the last, because of I was
> explored the rmsd variation along the time. Now I want to merge all the
> trajectories to do only one plot of 10ns.
>
> So, I did:
>
> trajcat -f md_1ns_noPBC.xtc md_2ns_noPBC.xtc md_3ns_noPBC.xtc
> md_4ns_noPBC.xtc -o TOTAL_10ns_noPBC.xtc
>
> The program showed this:
>
> File                Start time       Time step
>          md_1ns_noPBC.xtc        0.000 ps        2.000 ps
>          md_2ns_noPBC.xtc        0.000 ps        2.000 ps WARNING: same
> Start time as previous
>          md_3ns_noPBC.xtc        0.000 ps        2.000 ps WARNING: same
> Start time as previous
>          md_4ns_noPDB.xtc        0.000 ps        2.000 ps WARNING: same
> Start time as previous
>
> I am worry about the message 'WARNING: same Start time as previous', I
> think is normal because each simulation is like independent, that is the
> reason why start time is take as 0ps.

This may be correct for your case (if in the .mdp file you have "tinit = 0") or
you otherwise did not properly continue the simulation using a checkpoint file.
  If it makes sense to concatenate independent trajectories and consider them to
be continuous, you can override the start times with the -settime option.

> Please tell me If my command line is correct according to my purposes.
> By the way, to make the plot (RMSD 10ns) I plan to do it with -s
> md_1ns.tpr, is it correct?

That will calculate RMSD relative to the structure contained in the .tpr file
that began the first 1-ns simulation.  If that's what you wish to measure, then
you're correct.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar