[gmx-users] writing trajectory with water molecules within a distance from protein

maria goranovic mariagoranovic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:27:59 CEST 2011

An update on this. I got the following to work:

1. use a vmd script closest.tcl (available on the vmd pages) to select
closest N waters, and write a pdb file for each frame.

2. however, the above pdb files have different residue numbers for the water
molecules for each frame because it is not the same N waters each frame. So
use editconf to convert the pdbs to gros  with the -resnr 1 option

3. concatenate the frames using trjcat ( -cat option)

4. make the correct time spacing using trjconv. (-timestep)

The method is kinda tedious, but the final result is a trajectory of the
protein with closest N-waters updated every step. Good enough for my
analysis.

Maria G.
Technical University of Denmark
Copenhagen