[gmx-users] Fatal Error: The largest charge group contains 140 atoms. The maximum is 32

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 7 01:57:20 CEST 2011

Lalit wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> At this time, I am very much interested in using gromacs utilities for
> analysis with {.dcd, .psf} files. Especially, eg., for g_density.
> Primarily, I use NAMD/VMD for my work.
>
> I am following this link from NAMD mailing list:
>
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l/14046.html
>
> As suggest, by Axel, I was able to get the {.top} file.
>
> However, when I used gromacs's "grompp" command:
>
> $ grompp -f minim1.mdp -c BL1_only.pdb -p BL1_only.top -o BL1_only.tpr
>
> I was returned with an error like this:
>
> * * *
>
> Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.4#
> Generated 231 of the 231 non-bonded parameter combinations
> Generating 1-4 interactions: fudge = 0.5
> Generated 231 of the 231 1-4 parameter combinations
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'molecule0'
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'molecule1'
>
> NOTE 1 [file BL1_only.top, line 1880]:
>   System has non-zero total charge: -5.999999e+01

> Program grompp, VERSION 4.5.4
> Source code file:
> /home/mandrake/rpm/BUILD/gromacs-4.5.4/src/kernel/grompp.c, line: 175
>
> Fatal error:
> The largest charge group contains 140 atoms. The maximum is 32.
>
> Is there a way to use g_density with my set of files - {.psf, .pdb, .dcd} ?

The problem is the .top - as the error states, you have far too many atoms in a
charge group for grompp to actually let it pass.  For simply doing analysis and
not an actual simulation, there is nothing wrong per se, but you will not be
able to create the necessary .tpr file.  Charge groups should contain between 1
and 4 atoms, based on functional groups.  The only way to make grompp work would
be to re-number your charge groups.  See .rtp files for examples.

-Justin

> Please suggest and help.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> --- Lalit
>
> p.s.: All relevant files: BL1_only.pdb; BL1_only.psf; BL1_only.top &
> minim1.mdp can be downloaded from:
>
> http://lalitpkc.phy.uic.edu/~lalit/GROMACS_files
> <http://lalitpkc.phy.uic.edu/%7Elalit/GROMACS_files>

Justin A. Lemkul