[gmx-users] problem in g_density

cdalgicdir cahit.dalgicdir at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 13:41:35 CEST 2011

Hi,

The simulation box consists of layers of cyclohexane and vacuum.
Ensemble is NVT.

The density profiles of cyclohexane for 5-10 ns, 10-15 ns and 15-20 ns
coincide. However the density profile for 5-20 ns is significantly
higher than the ones calculated.
g_density -n -b 5000 -e 20000

If I calculate the 5-20 ns interval using every 5th frame the density
profile resembles that of the 5-10, 10-15, 15-20 ns's.
g_density -n -b 5000 -e 20000 -dt 5

Attached is the graph of these profiles.

I have tried this in 4.07, 4.5.3 and 4.5.4. The results are similar for
all these versions.

I am aware that such inconsistencies may occur with g_density in NPT
ensembles. However I am using a NVT ensemble. Is there something am I
missing? And more importantly,  how should I decide which one is the
correct density?

Thanks,
Cahit