[gmx-users] g_hbond/g_sas - how is it calculated?

Marzinek, Jan j.marzinek10 at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 16:20:15 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a question related to the calculation of hydrogen bonds in Gromacs. As I read in Manual it comes from the distance between donor and acceptor ( <= 0.35 nm) and the angle <=30 degr beween hydrogen and acceptor. The question is - why 30 degr? How is it related to the reality?

The second thing is the claculation of the accessible surface area (g_sas) of the molecule for instance? It is not explained in manual and I am really curious how g_sas makes these calculations.

As my supervisors do not know the gromacs their questions are always about such details :)

However, I think it is really important to understand what you are really doing using commands in Gromacs which provide you with really detailed results.

Thank you in advance,

Jan