[gmx-users] g_hbond/g_sas - how is it calculated?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 8 16:55:13 CEST 2011

Marzinek, Jan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a question related to the calculation of hydrogen bonds in
> Gromacs. As I read in Manual it comes from the distance between donor
> and acceptor ( <= 0.35 nm) and the angle <=30 degr beween hydrogen and
> acceptor. The question is - why 30 degr? How is it related to the reality?

Hydrogen bond strength decreases with distance between the donor and acceptor
and with deviation from linearity.  A survey of crystallographic structures
shows that these are generally accepted criteria.  There is literature on this
that dates back many decades.

> The second thing is the claculation of the accessible surface area
> (g_sas) of the molecule for instance? It is not explained in manual and
> I am really curious how g_sas makes these calculations.

I'd suggest you look at the citation provided in the "PLEASE READ AND CITE THE
FOLLOWING REFERENCE" section printed when running g_sas :)

-Justin

> As my supervisors do not know the gromacs their questions are always
> about such details :)
>
> However, I think it is really important to understand what you are
> really doing using commands in Gromacs which provide you with really
> detailed results.
>

> Thank you in advance,
>

> Jan

Justin A. Lemkul