[gmx-users] MD - analysis

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 13 14:02:16 CEST 2011

Kavyashree M wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
>   Thanks for your reply.
>
>     It means "not a number."  I've never seen that before from g_energy,
>     but based on the extremely small error estimates, especially for the
>     temperature, I'd suspect you're using extremely tight coupling which
>     may be causing some error.
>

> I was thinking such errors come when there are some infinite values.

Correct.

> This same
> mdp file parameters I have used to run 3 more simulations in different
> systems.
> But that was all fine, such "nan" error was not present.

What does gmxcheck tell you about the .edr file that is giving weird results?
Do the plots look normal?  Perhaps a frame got corrupted somewhere along the
way.  The screen output should print how many frames were considered in the
analysis; if it does not match your expectations based on nstenergy and the
length of the simulation then something went wrong.

>     The RMSD presented by g_energy is the standard deviation of the data
>     analyzed. It is unrelated to the RMSD of the protein.
>

> Yes that is true. I just checked it to make sure that there is no
> horrible errors in
> the trajectory.
>
>     In a periodic system, there is no such thing as "inside" and
>     "outside" since the system is infinite.
>

> Than is true. but why  mentioned is that when we are analyzing we take into
> account only one of the unit cell not infinite. By outside I meant out
> of the unit
> cell in consideration into a periodic image.

Most analyses do not need re-imaging.  Keeping the protein within the confines
of one unit cell is typically just a convenience for visualization.

-Justin

>     trjconv -pbc mol -ur compact (and -center if you like).
>

> Thank you I will try it out.
>
>     Never used ngmx, but with the trjconv command I've stated everything
>     should show up quite nicely in VMD :)
>

> Ok thanks. I am new to VMD need to explore it more.
>
> Thanking you
> With Regards
> M. Kavyashree

Justin A. Lemkul