[gmx-users] Problem with 512 membrane

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 14 16:24:30 CEST 2011

Du Jiangfeng (BIOCH) wrote:
> Dear Gro users, We created an all-atom system with 512 DPPCs by the method
> which was suggested by Justin (genconf -f 128.gro -o 512.gro -nbox 2 2 1) and
> a CG system with 512 DSPCs by using Martini self assembly tutorial. We do get
> nice bilayers, however after minimization, the systems break apart. Also, if

Please define what "break apart" means - does the system explode, or do the
molecules simply split across PBC?

> we add ions into the system, it also breaks apart. Our question is: What

Simply by adding ions?  Or by doing EM afterwards?

> causes the membrane to break apart during the minimization process? does it
> mean that 512 lipids' system is not stable or is it a minimization method
> problem? By the way, the minimization of a 128 lipids system has no problem.

Then maybe there is some clash in the system, although I'd be surprised if this
was the case.  Assembling what essentially amount to periodic replicates via
genconf should be a robust procedure.  If your EM is indeed blowing up, then the
log file (or screen output) should indicate where the high forces are.  If
that's the case, check the structure in your favorite visualization program and
see what's wrong in that location.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar