[gmx-users] Questions about GB parameters

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 14 20:24:27 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I wanted to dig up an old discussion that hit the list a long time ago because
I'm now encountering some problems understanding the GB settings myself.  The
discussion in question is here:

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-August/053373.html

I wanted to post a couple of questions based on Per's response.

1. Based on that post, it seems to me that the value in the gbr column should
have a dielectric offset added to it during the GB calculations.  In the code,
though (genborn.c, around line 484 in the latest release-4-5-patches), it looks
like the dielectric offset is subtracted, not added.  I guess the code is
reversing the process, going from GB radius back to vdW radius by subtracting
the dielectric offset?  It seems, then, that the parameters in gbsa.itp should
specify GB radii, not vdW radii, though the manual says the gbr column is
"atomic van der Waals radii, which are used in computing the Born radii."  Is
the opposite actually true?

2. I am still unclear on the source of the HCT scaling factors.  From the
reference cited in the manual, it would seem that scaling factors are
interaction-dependent, at least when H atoms are concerned.  I also cannot find
any indication of where these values came from.  None of the values of Table 2
in the HCT reference match the contents of the "hct" column.  Again I wonder if
I'm missing something obvious :)

Thanks for any insight!

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate