[gmx-users] Reducing density using -vdwd option for a new solvent in the system

shivangi nangia shivangi.nangia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:10:08 CEST 2011

Dear Justin,

I have run into another problem.

I created the system by including DHB in vwdradii.dat as follows:

; Very approximate VanderWaals radii
; only used for drawing atoms as balls or for calculating atomic overlap.
; longest matches are used
; '???' or '*' matches any residue name
; 'AAA' matches any protein residue name
???  C     0.15
???  F     0.12
???  H     0.04
???  N     0.110
???  O     0.105
???  S     0.16
*DHB  C     0.5
DHB  H     0.5
DHB  O     0.5*
; Water charge sites
SOL  MW    0
SOL  LP    0
; Masses for vsite construction
GLY  MN1   0
GLY  MN2   0
ALA  MCB1  0
ALA  MCB2  0
VAL  MCG1  0
VAL  MCG2  0
ILE  MCG1  0
ILE  MCG2  0
ILE  MCD1  0
ILE  MCD2  0
LEU  MCD1  0
LEU  MCD2  0
MET  MCE1  0
MET  MCE2  0
TRP  MTRP1 0
TRP  MTRP2 0
THR  MCG1  0
THR  MCG2  0
LYSH MNZ1  0
LYSH MNZ2  0

After making this change, DHB molecules were not over lapping with each
other.

I tried to energy minimized the system.
minim.mdp
; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr
; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save
integrator  = steep     ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent minimization)
;emtol    = 1000.0    ; Stop minimization when the maximum force < 1000.0
kJ/mol/nm
emstep          = 0.01          ; Energy step size
nsteps      = 50000     ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to perform

; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
calculate the interactions
nstlist     = 1      ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and long range
forces
ns_type     = grid      ; Method to determine neighbor list (simple, grid)
rlist    = 1.0    ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range forces)
coulombtype = PME    ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
rcoulomb = 1.0    ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
rvdw     = 1.0    ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
pbc      = xyz       ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
constraints = none

 After about 6000 steps the run stops with the message:
Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
Converged to machine precision,
but not to the requested precision Fmax < 10

Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.

Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 6012 steps,
but did not reach the requested Fmax < 10.
Potential Energy  =  1.0655116e+05
Maximum force     =  1.6512177e+02 on atom 2076
Norm of force     =  6.5337501e+00

The potential energy is high, but I still continued to equilibration.
After NVT equilibration, NVT equilbration runs into the following error as
soon it starts:

Warning: 1-4 interaction between 4512 and 4516 at distance 6.148 which is
larger than the 1-4 table size 2.000 nm
These are ignored for the rest of the simulation
This usually means your system is exploding,
if not, you should increase table-extension in your mdp file
or with user tables increase the table size
/var/spool/pbs/mom_priv/jobs/1869547.lionxj.rcc.psu.edu.SC: line 14:  2359
Segmentation fault      mdrun -deffnm npt

So, I have three questions:

1. Is the starting structure bad?
2. Did I change the vdwd radii by a lot (0.105 to 0.5)
3. What value of table extension should be used for 1-4 interaction (
default value is?) if thats the problem to be fixed.

Please guide.

Thanks,
SN

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM, shivangi nangia <shivangi.nangia at gmail.com