[gmx-users] Reducing density using -vdwd option for a new solvent in the system

shivangi nangia shivangi.nangia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 21:12:53 CEST 2011

Hello Justin and everybody,

I created a system of charged polyhistdine, counter anions and just 1 DHB
molecule is a box without making any change in the vdwradii.dat file.
This system does not energy minimize, it stops with the same message:

Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
Converged to machine precision,
but not to the requested precision Fmax < 10

Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.

What can be done to fix this problem?

The part of  DHB itp file is:
[ moleculetype ]
; Name nrexcl
DHB      3

[ atoms ]
;   nr      type  resnr resid  atom  cgnr   charge     mass
     1        OM     1  DHB     OAA     1   -0.567  15.9994
     2         C     1  DHB     CAH     1    1.135  12.0110
     3        OM     1  DHB     OAD     1   -0.568  15.9994
     4         C     1  DHB     CAK     2   -0.004  12.0110
     5       CR1     1  DHB     CAG     2    0.004  12.0110
     6        HC     1  DHB     HAG     2    0.033   1.0080
     7         C     1  DHB     CAI     2    0.141  12.0110
     8        OA     1  DHB     OAB     2   -0.179  15.9994
     9         H     1  DHB     HAB     2    0.005   1.0080
    10       CR1     1  DHB     CAE     3    0.000  12.0110
    11        HC     1  DHB     HAE     3    0.000   1.0080
    12       CR1     1  DHB     CAF     3    0.000  12.0110
    13        HC     1  DHB     HAF     3    0.000   1.0080
    14         C     1  DHB     CAJ     4    0.082  12.0110
    15        OA     1  DHB     OAC     4   -0.113  15.9994
    16         H     1  DHB     HAC     4    0.031   1.0080

If I have the water/methanol or water:methanol in the system as the solvent,
the system runs fine.

Please help.

Thanks,
SN