[gmx-users] load imbalance

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jun 18 02:43:03 CEST 2011

E. Nihal Korkmaz wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Would that cause any problems in the simulation? It says force 154.9%,
> does that mean it is applying the wrong force? Is it safe to proceed to
> simulation like that?

It just means that one (or maybe more) processors are doing a whole lot more
work than others.  There's nothing wrong with the force calculation itself.

For small proteins in an implicit solvent, DD parallelization doesn't offer much
benefit.  There are optimized settings for non-periodic systems that may even
result in better performance when there are serious balance issues, in which
case your performance likely isn't very good since the DLB algorithm is clearly
struggling.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate