[gmx-users] Generation of configurations for Umbrella Sampling

Rebeca García Fandiño regafan at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:15:02 CEST 2011

Hello,
I am trying to obtain the PMF from Umbrella Sampling of the process of separating two monomers of a dimer.
I am following the tutorial
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/05_pull.html
and I have a doubt:
In this tutorial the generation of configurations is done using a .mdp file for pulling one chain from another, but is it possible to generate the configurations for Umbrella Sampling "by hand", I mean, changing the z coordinate of the monomer I want to move, then solvating and then minimizing these configurations? Is there any problem with this protocol for the obtaining of the configurations?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Best wishes,

Dr. Rebeca Garcia
Santiago de Compostela University