[gmx-users] adius of gyration - compactness

shahab shariati shahab.shariati at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 13:20:45 CEST 2011

Dear Tsjerk

thanks for your reply.

in paper 1 :

larger radius of gyration, less compact, more surface

in paper 2:
(smaller radius of gyration; not stated explicitly), more compact, less surface.

in paper 3:

[Journal of Structural Biology 156 (2006) 537–545]

Overall, the GBD appears a little more compact in the complex, as far
as the radius
of gyration decrease and less molecular surface is exposed to the solvent.

all of above is true.

I want to know exactly how do radius of gyration of protein from free
state to complex state change .
Rg increased od decreased?

What's the contradiction?

contradiction is in this that in paper 1 Rg increased and in paper 2
and 3 decreased.

I want to know my data [ In my simulation systems, the average of
radius of gyration in free protein
is 2.31 and for protein in complex is 2.58.] is true?