[gmx-users] implicit solvent system set up

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 21 10:59:45 CEST 2011

E. Nihal Korkmaz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This may sound stupid, but just to make sure that I am right track about
> implicit solvent simulations, the set up involves
> pdb2gmx
> editconf
> grompp
>
> I mean, we still need to define the box dimensions by editconf and apply
> periodicity, right?

Not usually.  Proper settings usually include "pbc = no" and long cutoffs.  This
has been discussed at length in the list archive.

> Besides, what type of ensemble would be a good choice (NPT, NVT, etc)?

Typically NVT.  There is nothing compressible for NPT to act upon - you have,
e.g., a protein in an imaginary bath of solvent.  If you apply NPT conditions,
the box will just collapse in on itself.

-Justin

> Best,
>
> --
> Elif Nihal Korkmaz
>
> Research Assistant
> University of Wisconsin - Biophysics
> Member of Qiang Cui & Thomas Record Labs
> 1101 University Ave, Rm. 8359
> Madison, WI 53706
> Phone:  608-265-3644
> Email:   korkmaz at wisc.edu <mailto:korkmaz at wisc.edu>