[gmx-users] Re: Box-dimensions -g_energy_output

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 24 13:50:31 CEST 2011

Kavyashree M wrote:
> Sir,
>
> I am sorry I did not get any mail for that query since I posted it.
> So I had to ask once again..
>
> 1. g_energy -f ener.edr -o  box.xvg
>     selecting 15 16 17 0
>
> 2. gmxcheck -e ener.edr
>
>    Opened ener.edr as single precision energy file
>    frame:      0 (index      0), t:      0.000
>    Last energy frame read 50000 time 100000.000
>
>    Found 50001 frames with a timestep of 2 ps.
>
> 3. Gromacs version 4.5.3
>
> This is the same data where I was mentioning that I
> was getting "not a number"  (nan) error for all
> energy calculations under RMSD section.

I've said several times before that this energy file is probably junk, and again
I'd suspect that.  The only thing to check would be to run gmxdump on the .edr
file (and redirect into some output file or pipe the output through "more" to
actually see it) and see where the energy values go screwy.  If you find a bunch
of nonsensical information, then you have your answer.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080