[gmx-users] pulling code

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Jun 24 18:32:14 CEST 2011

Dear Adam:

I have a number of questions listed below. But first, I think it would
be useful if you explain exactly what you want to accomplish and how
you tried to do this with non-modified code and what problem you ran
into that caused you to modify the code. After you outline that,
please address the following questions:

1. Why not use one terminus as the reference group and the other
terminus as the pull_group0 ?

2. How did you modify the code to use the shortest vector? I was under
the impression that the code did already do this (shortest vector
accounting for PBC) and that this was actually something you wanted to
avoid.

3. Why can you not just use A-B even if A is positive and B is
negative? If you are trying to avoid determining a PBC-wraparound
distance, then it seems like A-B does give you exactly what you want
as long as the entire protein is inside the unit cell.

4. If you really need to know the box size, t is available in the code
at runtime. Why can you not just use the appropriate variable?

5. How are you fixing the non-terminal groups that you say need to be
fixed? I don't understand why you can't fix groups with position
restraints and the pull with the pull code. Also, why do you need to
fix certain non-terminal groups?

6. This confused me a lot: "I don't think I want to freeze or restrain
the groups that need to be fixed, because they must still be allowed
flexibility to twist and deform--I only want to roughly fix their
centers of mass." ... so then how did you fix them?

Chris.