[gmx-users] Comparing MD ensembles with exp. NOE restraints --> bus error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 27 15:49:29 CEST 2011

Thereza Soares wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I would like to compare my ensemble of (unrestrained) MD structures against
> experimental NOE distances. For that, I have added the distance_restraints
> block to my *.top file such as:
>
> [distance_restraints]
 > ;ai    aj type index type’ low   up1 up2 fac
 > 33    31    1    0    1  0.0  3.000 1.2 0.4
 > 35    31    1    1    1  0.0  2.500 0.7 0.3
>

> I have also added the disre options below to the *.mdp file used to generate
> a new tpr for the NOE analysis
>
> disre             = Simple
 > disre-weighting   = Equal
 > disre-mixed       = no
> disre-fc          = 1000
 > disre-tau         = 0
 > nstdisreout       = 1
>
> When I run g_disre -s proton.tpr -f trj.pdb, it reads the tpr file and gives
> a bus error ... I am copying the entire mdp file in case someone can point me
> out what is wrong with it.

There is nothing wrong with the .mdp file.  There is likely a bug in the g_disre
code somewhere, as is usually the case with immediate bus errors or segmentation
faults.

> I would appreciate any suggestions on what maybe wrong here,

You haven't mentioned which version of Gromacs you're using, but if it is not
4.5.4 (the latest), please try again with this version.  If you are using 4.5.4
or the error persists, please file an issue report on redmine.gromacs.org and
include your .tpr and .pdb files necessary to reproduce the problem.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee