[gmx-users] about periodic images violation

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 17:05:17 CEST 2011

Hi Anna,

The spikes you see occur because the protein is broken over the
periodic boundaries. Not hard to see that a broken molecule will have
a minimal minimal distance.

The other problem may well occur due to rotation of your molecule.
Since you set -bt tric, you just get a rectangular unit cell, which
has the drawback that the shortest distance may not be long enough to
keep the protein from self-interactions in certain orientations. I
know it's considered a pretty standard setup, which is why I mentioned
it before. You should use a rhombic dodecahedron.

With a rectangular cell, you could even have self-interaction in a
nastier way: the ends of the protein can try to avoid each other,
rather than align with each other. That would result in an altered
ensemble, yet one in which you wouldn't see violations of the minimal
distance. In a rhombic dodecahedron the spatial distribution is much
more uniform...

Cheers,

Tsjerk