[gmx-users] The RMSD of a metal ion

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jun 27 19:17:01 CEST 2011

simon sham wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to look at the positions of a metal ion in MD relative to
> its original crystal position. I tried g_rms, and I got the following
> message:
>
> "Fatal error :
> Need >= 3 points to fit"
>
> Did I use the correct command to achieve this task?

Generally, when one receives a fatal error, the answer is no :)

To do least-squares fitting, as the error says, three points are needed.  In
your case, I suspect you have chosen the metal ion as the fitting and
calculation group, so there is only one point in space to which fitting can be
applied.  Even if g_rms ran, it would give you a zero RMSD, as fitting would
always align the single ion with itself.

You will have to either fit to some other suitable reference group such that the
RMSD of the metal ion is calculated relative to it, or do a rotational and
translational fit of the trajectory with trjconv and issue g_rms -nofit to
calculate the RMSD of the metal ion.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar