[gmx-users] minimization problem (Martini simulation)

politr at fh.huji.ac.il politr at fh.huji.ac.il
Tue Jun 28 00:04:38 CEST 2011

Dear Justin,
Thank you very much for your answer.
Can you please explain me what do you mean by saying "EM wasn't
sufficient". What information do you need in order be able to help?
I run EM with emtol=60 and I got the following energies:
Steepest Descents converged to Fmax < 60 in 2256 steps
Potential Energy = -1.2244622e+07
Maximum force = 4.7755444e+01 on atom 1659
Norm of force = 6.3245118e-01
Everything seems ok.
After that I run MD using mdp file attached and I got the following error:
Started mdrun on node 0 Tue Jun 28 00:10:12 2011

Step Time Lambda
0 0.00000 0.00000

Energies (kJ/mol)
Bond G96Angle Improper Dih. LJ (SR) Coulomb (SR)
6.39093e+03 9.79589e+03 3.77765e+02 -1.22386e+07 -1.82773e+03
Potential Kinetic En. Total Energy Temperature Pressure (bar)
-1.22239e+07 1.25745e+00 -1.22239e+07 2.55766e-04 -1.14611e+03
Cons. rmsd ()
4.25390e-06

DD step 9 load imb.: force 3.0%

Program mdrun_mpi, VERSION 4.0.3
Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 348

Fatal error:
Number of grid cells is zero. Probably the system and box collapsed.

"Step Aside, Butch" (Pulp Fiction)

I found that this error is connected to problems with minimization but
unfortunately I don't know how to fix it.
I will appreciate very much any help.
Thank you.
Regina
mdp file used:
; VARIOUS PREPROCESSING OPTIONS =
title                    = Martini
cpp                      = /usr/bin/cpp

; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS =
integrator               = md
; start time and timestep in ps =
tinit                    = 0.0
dt                       = 0.030
nsteps                   = 40000000
; number of steps for center of mass motion removal =
nstcomm                  = 1
; Groups for center of mass motion removal
comm-grps                = System

; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS =
; Output frequency for coords (x), velocities (v) and forces (f) =
nstxout                  = 5000
nstvout                  = 5000
nstfout                  = 0
; Output frequency for energies to log file and energy file =
nstlog                   = 1000
nstenergy                = 100
; Output frequency and precision for xtc file =
nstxtcout                = 0
xtc_precision            = 100
; This selects the subset of atoms for the xtc file. You can =
; select multiple groups. By default all atoms will be written. =
xtc-grps                 =
; Selection of energy groups =
energygrps               =  Protein_PSE W_ION

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS =
; nblist update frequency =
nstlist                  = 10
; ns algorithm (simple or grid) =
ns_type                  = grid
; Periodic boundary conditions: xyz or none =
pbc                      = xyz
; nblist cut-off         =
rlist                    = 1.2

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW =
; Method for doing electrostatics =
coulombtype              = Shift
rcoulomb_switch          = 0.0
rcoulomb                 = 1.2
; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off or DC of reaction field =
epsilon_r                = 15
; Method for doing Van der Waals =
vdw_type                 = Shift
; cut-off lengths        =
rvdw_switch              = 0.9
rvdw                     = 1.2
; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure =
DispCorr                 = No

; OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS =
; Temperature coupling   =
tcoupl                   = Berendsen
; Groups to couple separately =
tc-grps                  = Protein_PSE W_ION
; Time constant (ps) and reference temperature (K) =
tau_t                    = 1.0  1.0
ref_t                    = 300  300
; Pressure coupling      =
Pcoupl                   = berendsen
Pcoupltype               = isotropic
; Time constant (ps), compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar) =
tau_p                    = 5.0 5.0
compressibility          = 3e-4 3e-4
ref_p                    = 1.0 1.0

; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN =
gen_vel                  = no
gen_temp                 = 300
gen_seed                 = 473529

; OPTIONS FOR BONDS     =
constraints              = none
; Type of constraint algorithm =
constraint_algorithm     = Lincs
; Do not constrain the start configuration =
unconstrained_start      = no
; Highest order in the expansion of the constraint coupling matrix =
lincs_order              = 4
; Lincs will write a warning to the stderr if in one step a bond =
; rotates over more degrees than =
lincs_warnangle          = 30