[gmx-users] How to protonate a gmx trajectory?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 28 19:58:46 CEST 2011

Yun Shi wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am using GROMACS4.5.4 and the GROMOS 53A6 united-atom force field to do MD with my protein-ligand system.
>
> I was trying to add aliphatic hydrogens to the .gro and .trr or .xtc trajectory file with g_protonate, but the Fatal error was:
>
> Library file in current dir nor  not found ffgmx2in defalt directories.
>
> Then re-name the directory in ../share/top/gmx2.ff to ffgmx2, and this time g_protonate seems to be able to find those .hdb files. But another error follows as:
>
> Reading frames from gro file 'Protein in water', 66743 atoms.
> Reading frame       0 time    0.000   Opening force field file ffgmx2/aminoacids.hdb
> Opening force field file ffgmx2/atomtypes.atp
> Atomtype 1
> Opening force field file ffgmx2/aminoacids.n.tdb
> Opening force field file ffgmx2/aminoacids.c.tdb
> Segmentation fault
>

> I searched for 'Segmentation fault', nothing relevant to g_protonate came up.

A segmentation fault is a generic memory error that can be produced by any program.

> So I wonder if anyone could kindly help me out? Or is there an easy alternative way to protonate the trajectory file?

The g_protonate program is currently nonfunctional.  I have made a small fix in
the release-4-5-patches branch, but the result is that the program can only
handle .pdb files and nothing else.

There is an outstanding issue that awaits a real resolution:

http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/589

In the meantime, I guess the only workaround is to generate .pdb files of each
of your trajectory frames, then re-concatenate them as a new .xtc file.  That
would be somewhat tedious, but should work.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee