[gmx-users] Calculate distance between two atoms

Amjad Farooq amjadfarooq at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 19:26:48 CEST 2011

Hello everyone,

I would like to calculate distance between two atoms from an MD run. For example, how do I probe changes in distance between CD atom of Pro23 and OE1 atom of Glu75 as a function of simulation time.

From the manual, I understand that one should use the command g_dist that includes the index.ndx file. My questions are:

(1) How do I create an index.ndx file for the the above-mentioned pair of atoms?
(2) What is the exact format of g_dist that should be applied on the command line?

Thank you very much for your help!
Amjad

AMJAD FAROOQ PhD DIC
Associate Professor and Laboratory Head
Farooq Laboratory of Macromolecular Biophysics, Gautier Bldg #217/219
Dept of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology and USylvester Braman Family Breast Cancer Institute
Leonard Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136

1011 NW 15th Street #217, Miami, FL 33136 (Mailing Address)
a.farooq at miami.edu | amjad at farooqlab.net | amjadfarooq at yahoo.com
off 305-243-2429 | lab 305-243-9799 | fax 305-243-3955
www.farooqlab.net